In celebration of International Roma Day on April 8th, 2023, the Roma Inclusion project officially launched ‘This Is Us’ – a video collaboration between Clare Youth Service and the Roma Inclusion Project. Young people who are learners at Clare Youth Service introduce themselves and discuss Roma Cultures including family, religion, beliefs and celebrations.
The aim of the Roma Inclusion Project is to support the Roma Community in the following areas:
• Improvements in overall English literacy for the Roma Community
• Greater integration of Roma in community activities in Co. Clare
• Stronger intercultural ties between Roma and the wider community in Co. Clare
• Increased health, wellbeing, employability and integration of the Roma Community in Co. Clare
The Co. Clare Roma Inclusion Project works with Roma families living in the Ennis and Kilrush area.
Speaking English is actively encouraged throughout all activities.
Examples of programmes which have taken place since the project began in April 2018 are:
- Art Classes for parents and kids.
- Zumba classes for women.
- A trip to Fota Island Cork for 20 Roma Families.
- Intercultural community events were organised with Roma music and food for families to come together.
- Christmas community event at The Planet Activity Centre in Ennis.
- Lampshade and jewellery making workshops in partnership with Ennis Community College.
- Crochet and knitting classes are starting in Kilrush for Roma and other new communities.
Roma Inclusion Project News
Positive news for Travellers and Community Development in Clare
This video has a range of information on Covid 19 for those who speak Czech
Forum was organised by Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre and the National Traveller Women’s Forum
Supporting Roma parents who have children attending school to access Social Protection payments.
Rares-Mihai Nicula, Roma Project Officer, Dublin City Community Co-Op gives advice on mental wellbeing
Read our current newsletter for programme updates, news & resources.