Part 1: Introduction to Counter Service/Customer Service
- Appreciate the importance of the customer to an organisation
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the frontline representative of an organisation
- Understand the teamwork necessary to meet customer needs and expectations
- Be familiar with relevant legislation.
- Develop a customer-oriented quality service consistent with best practice and standards.
- Be able to respond appropriately to inappropriate/argumentative customer behaviour.
Part 2: Employer and Employee Duties and Responsibilities
- Understanding of employer expectations when working within the hospitality sector.
- Understanding of the key competencies and attributes that are essential for working in the hospitality sector.
- Understanding of employee rights and responsibilities.
- Understanding of appropriate behaviour in the work place.
Part 3: HACCP Level 1
- Identify the hazards and risks associated with food preparation.
- Define food poisoning, understand how it occurs.
- Identify the main causes of food contamination.
- Explain the importance of correct handling, storage, preparation, and cooking of food.
- Explain the legal responsibilities of the employee working with food.
- List the structural requirements of a food premises.
- Recognise a pest infestation and know how to implement controls.
- Define HACCP
Part 4: Barista Skills
- Understand the features and requirements for beverage counter service.
- Serve beverages safely and efficiently.
- Use a commercial espresso machine to produce a range of types of coffees and other beverages.
- Prepare and serve food items typically associated with cafes
Allow all participants to gain knowledge and skills relevant to the hospitality sector, both practical and theoretical.